The 2023-2024 Transportation Application Form is available in School Engage.
- If you are new to Northern Lights Public Schools, you must register for school before you can apply for Transportation Services.
- If you have a student currently enrolled in an NLPS school, the 2023-2024 Transportation Application Form can be accessed through the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- You will need to access the Parent Portal using a computer (desktop or laptop) in order to access registration forms. You will not be able to access the forms using the Parent Portal app.
- If you already have a Parent Portal account set up, you can log in, click on School Engage in the lower left hand corner and you will be able to access the form. Please make sure you select the form for the correct year. You need to complete a form for each child that is going to be riding the bus.
- If you do not already have a Parent Portal account set up, please contact your school for information.
- Once you have submitted your application form, the NLPS Transportation Department will contact you to confirm your information, discuss any fees that may apply, and provide you with information on how to pay those fees.
- Where fees are applicable, registrations will not be considered complete until payment is made in full or a payment plan has been set up in School Cash Online. Fees can be paid in up to four installments. January 1st will be the final installment date available.
Please note: To secure a spot on the bus for the first day of school, your application must be received and, if fees are applicable, a payment plan must be set up in School Cash Online, or fees paid in full.
The walk limits for Student Transportation Services have recently been changed. Students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 are now eligible for student transportation if they live more than 1.0 kilometres from their designated school. Students in grades 7-12 are eligible for student transportation if they live more than 2.0 kilometres from their designated school.
Fees are charged for in-town transportation (students who are ineligible for transportation funding) in the communities of Bonnyville, Cold Lake and Lac La Biche. Please note that in-town routes are subject to availability of bus contractors and drivers and students may be placed on a waiting list until space becomes available on an established route.
For the 2023-2024 school year, fees will be charged as follows:
|Distance from Designated School
|Fee (per year)
|Kindergarten to Grade 6
|Less than 1.0 kilometres
|Less than 2.0 kilometres
A fee will also be charged for any student who requires a seat on an second (alternate) route, unless it is required to comply with a custody agreement. The fee for this service for 2023-2024 is $500. Alternate route seats will only be provided if space is available on the alternate route and will be capped at one alternate seat per student.
Where fees are applicable, registration will not be considered complete until fees are paid in full or a payment plan is set up in School Cash Online. Fees are payable in up to four installments. January 1st will be the final installment date available. An automatic $26 non-payment charge will be added to your School Cash Online account if payment is rejected. If all non-payment charges and rejected payments are not received by January 31, the parent/guardian will be asked to withdraw their child(ren) from riding the bus.
Bus fee refunds will be applied in the following circumstances:
- bus services are not available for a period exceeding two consecutive weeks (excluding holidays included on the NLPS calendar)
- there is a Division required school closure that exceeds two consecutive weeks (excluding holidays included on the NLPS calendar)
- the student riding the bus changes schools and does not require transportation to/from the new location
- the student moves and fees are not applicable at their new location
- the student moves out of district.
In the event a student is moving or changing schools, please inform NLPS Transportation as soon as possible.
Families who wish to apply to have their fees waived, should complete our Transportation Fee Waiver Form and submit it to our Transportation Department.