Why do I need to tell the school when my child is going to be absent?
Our goal is to make sure that every student that plans to come to school that day arrives safely. If you report your child absent, we know not to expect them. If you do not report your child's absence, we do not know if they are safe at home or if something happened on the way to school that prevented them from arriving safely.
If your child is not reported absent, you will receive an automated call, and possibly an email or text, asking you to confirm your child's absence. If we do not receive a response, we may attempt contacting you using the additional contact information you have provided to your child's school.
Reporting an Absence
There are four ways to report an absence:
- Use the School Messenger App
- Online: go.schoolmessenger.ca (or access through the Parent Portal)
- 1-833-288-7008 toll-free
- Call the school directly
Reporting an Absence using School Messenger
- Open the App on your mobile device, log in at go.schoolmessenger.ca or click on the School Messenger icon in the Parent Portal
- On the left-hand side, click on the three lines to access the menu. Choose Attendance.
- Click on Report an Absence.
- Select who will be absent. If more than one of your children will be absent, each absence needs to be reported separately.
- Select the type of absence: Full day, Late, Early Departure, Leave and Return, Multiple Day
- Select the absence reason: Illness, Buses Not Running, Vacation, Medical Appointment, Personal or Other Reason
- Choose the date of the absence
- Click Submit