Northern Lights Public Schools believes that providing staff with the support and professional development they need has a direct impact on the quality of instruction in our classrooms and the level of success that our students achieve.
Engaging New Teachers
At Northern Lights, we provide new teachers with the resources and support they need to succeed, as well as opportunities for growth in their new careers.
- Contract and Information emails
- Welcome Letter/Online Supports/Onboarding
- School Contact
New Teacher Orientation includes:
- A paid, one-day session with other new teachers and the Northern Lights Admin Team
- Building Connections
- Technology Session
- Professional Development
"In my first year teaching with Northern Lights, I've been immersed in a supportive environment full of colleagues always willing to lend a helping hand."
- Kylie Lapointe, Glendon School
- Two PD Workshops/Call Back Days
- Learning Consultant Visits
- Online Learning Opportunities
- Professional Learning Communities
- Vie for Edwin Parr Nomination
- Possible Attendance at ATA Beginning Teachers Conference
- In-School Mentors
- Common Professional Development
- Network with Colleagues
- Discussion Points:
- School Procedure and Routine
- Professional Duties
- Classroom Management
- Planning, Instruction and Assessment
- Meeting the Needs of All Learners
- Inclusive Classroom
First Month's Pay Advance for New Teachers
New teachers can apply to receive half of their first month's pay midway through September!
Healthy Living Program
As a Division, we place a high priority on staying healthy - in mind, body and spirit. The Division provides funding for staff for healthy activities throughout the year - things like staff sports tournaments or healthy lunch programs. Schools promote healthy living by offering healthy food choices, sharing health information and providing opportunities for staff to take part in activities like yoga, walking and running. Staff can also receive discounts at many local fitness and recreation facilities.
Employee benefits also include The Employee and Family Assistance Program, which is a confidential service designed to assist staff members and their dependants that are experiencing job-related and personal problems that affect work performance, family life and personal well-being.
Our school calendar has been created with student and teacher wellness in mind.
There are plenty of long weekends, two weeks off at Christmas, and a week off in the spring to give students and staff time for self-care and to allow time to travel during the holidays.
To view our current and future calendars, check out our Calendar page!
In partnership with our ATA Local, Northern Lights hosts System-Institute Day in October. All of the division's staff gather in one location to network, share and learn from each other, as well as world-renowned speakers. A large portion of the workshops are presented by Northern Lights staff; an excellent opportunity to learn from your peers and colleagues or to share your expertise.
Check out our System Day page to see what we offered last year and/or what's planned for next year!
Professional Development Opportunities
Northern Lights offers a number of opportunities for staff to grow professionally, both within and outside the division. A few of these opportunities include:
- Beginning Teachers Conference
- Job-Embedded PD with the division's Learning Consultants
- The Learning Network provides professional development and training opportunities for administrators, teachers, support staff and parents. Numerous opportunities are provided throughout the year.
- Masters Program - our current program provides staff with the opportunity to pursue a Masters of Education in Educational Leadership through Memorial University.
Administrative Procedure 411 - Professional Development
Professional Improvement Assistance
Certified and support staff can apply for funding to cover some of the costs associated with upgrading their skills and qualifications.
Administrative Procedure 412 - Certified Staff Professional Improvement Assistance
Administrative Procedure 412-3 - Support Staff Professional Improvement Assistance
Employee Computer Purchase Plan
This program allows staff to purchase a computer or tablet at the beginning of the school year and repay the full cost of the computer over the course of the school year.