Friends of Education Award
The Board of Trustees recognizes organizations and individuals in the community who have made a special contribution to education in Northern Lights Public Schools. Three awards are presented annually at a division event.
The Board of Trustees offers a number of awards to recognize graduating students for excellence in a single focus or area of study including the Aboriginal Achievement Scholarship, Student Leadership Award, Provincial Diploma Exam Awards, and Walter Hayduk Memorial Scholarship.
Provincial and National Awards
The Board also provides support for individuals wishing to nominate a student or staff member for awards at the provincial or national levels including the following:
- Prime Minister's Awards
- Canada's Outstanding Principals
- Canada’s Outstanding Principals recognizes outstanding contributions of principals in publicly funded schools. It honours principals from every province and territory in Canada who demonstrate innovation, entrepreneurial spirit and who have done something truly remarkable in public education.
- Great Kids Awards
- In 1999, the Great Kids Award was launched to recognize children and youth who positively impacted their communities. This year, the Great Kids Award highlights kids for inspiring and changing the lives of others, and helping to build stronger communities. These great kids have also done so while overcoming a wide variety of difficult life challenges, including managing a physical or mental illness, overcoming a difficult living situation and standing up against bullying.
In addition, the Board, through its provincial organizations - PSBAA and ASBA - considers its partners, staff and students for recognition thorugh those organizations. This includes:
- Alberta School Boards' Association
- Public School Boards' Association of Alberta