Welcome to the September edition of Wellness Wednesday!
Have you heard our messages of hope on the radio yet? Each month we will be featuring students and staff from NLPS schools sharing messages of hope on HOT 101.3 fm Bonnyville, boom 95.3 FM Cold Lake and boom 103.5 FM Lac La Biche. You can also hear interviews about how we are spreading hope in our schools and communities every second Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on all three stations. The next interview airs on September 15!
This month our Mental Health team (Student Advocacy Counsellors and Successful Families, Successful Kids Wellness Coaches) will be focusing on Kindness with students in our schools. We have many Kindness themed resources to share with you as well as some local mental health learning opportunities.
- Kindness Challenge (Random Acts of Kindness Foundation)
Make kindness the norm by completing a series of activities individually or as a family.
School Kindness Calendar (Random Acts of Kindness Foundation)
Daily suggestions of things you can do to show kindness to others and yourself.
- APP: bKindly
Share messages or hope and acts of kindness with other app users.
- Loving-Kindness Meditation (Greater Good in Action)
Strengthen feelings of kindness and connection toward others with this 15-minute daily meditation.
- VIDEO: Meditating with Kids (Greater Good Science Center)
A loving-kindness meditation you can do with your kids to help them feel more connected to and positive about the people around them.
- Encouraging Kindness in Kids (Greater Good in Action)
How to praise kids in ways that make them more kind.
- How to Be a Kindness Role Model for Your Kids (Greater Good Magazine)
- Building our Bundle
This six-week online program for Indigenous female youth (ages 14-29), will run on Zoom every Thursday from Sept. 16 to Oct. 21 from 5-7 p.m. Use the QR code in the poster to register.
- You’re Not Alone Grief Connection
The Alberta Hospice Palliative Care Association is seeking participants for this program. Get matched with a trained volunteer who has a similar grief experience to you. You will receive a weekly phone call and have a safe space to speak openly about the things you may be uncomfortable sharing with your friends and family. More information is included in the poster.
- WEBINAR: Kindness For All (Science of Spirituality)
This webinar explores the power of kindness which can be reinforced through meditation. The class takes place on Tuesday, September 28 from 6-7 p.m. MDT. Click on the link to register.
More Mental Health and Wellness Resources are available on our website, including
- Successful Families, Successful Kids resources for families,
- It Starts with Hope project (including our radio interviews)
- Mindful Minutes and Mindful Movements videos
- And an archive of all our Wellness Wednesday blogs.