INVITATION TO APPLY TO BECOME AN EXTERNAL MEMBER OF THE AUDIT COMMITTEE
The Northern Lights Public Schools Board of Trustees is seeking two community members with financial expertise and business knowledge to serve on its Audit Committee for a four-year term, effective November, 2019. One member must be a member of the business community, and the other a member of the adult learning community.
The Audit Committee is comprised of two Trustees and two independent members drawn from the community at large. The primary role of the Audit Committee is to assist the Board of Trustees in fulfilling its duties related to governance and oversight.
The Audit Committee duties fall under the following key areas:
- The financial reporting process
- Internal control framework
- Risk management practices
- Performance & function of the Board’s internal & external auditors
- The Board’s compliance with its obligations under legislation
The Committee meets at least three times a year, plus ad hoc meetings as required. Induction training material will be available to all committee members, to clarify roles and responsibilities of audit committees for the school board sector.
- Applicants must have sufficient accounting, senior financial management, or other relevance business experience to understand public sector accounting and auditing standards.
- The applicant must not be a current employee or officer of the board or of any other district board or school authority.
- The applicant must not have a parent, child, or spouse currently employed by the board.
Submissions: Suitable qualified candidates interested in serving on the Audit Committee are invited to submit a letter of interest and resume by 4:00 PM on October 30, 2019 to:
Northern Lights Public Schools